Welcome to my random reflections on Beijing experiences and adventures--my first attempt at being high-tech and joining the blog world! Thanks to the friends that suggested I become a blogger. Not that my daily life is that notable, but it is fun to write about and hopefully you will enjoy reading about such fun as well.

Great Wallin' It

Great Wallin' It

Watch your step! (I would be the one to fall off The Great Wall)

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

"The Bombshell Stomp"

In the spirit of trying anything, and embracing the why not approach, Cay and I have become...

...line dancing performers and instructors! I know, I still can't get past the wonderfully arbitrary nature of this entire situation. ONLY IN CHINA. It is just too funny. My sister's friend, Clay, told us he he had a friend, Aaron, that was trying to get foreigners involved in this line dancing troupe. He told us that if we were interested, we could be paid 100 kuai an hour, and that we would teach lessons and perform around the city. So of course, we have absolutely no line dancing experience at all but we are game to try just about anything new, so we said, Okay, we'll try it! We learned five dances to perform in front of The Lady who owns the company that we would be dancing for... I believe we'll be doing everything from Olympic-type rallies to parties to performing for govt officials. Hilarious. Of course, I am THE WORST one by far. Cay very diplomatically informed me that I am not the worst performer, I am just not the best at picking up the moves the fastest. hahaha that's for sure. So after four days of practicing we huddled into a taxi to southwestern Beijing and performed the five dances for the company owner. Dances with names like "Bombshell Stomp" and "Zjosey Funk". LOL. Our friend Kate and I kept looking at each other in bewilderment and laughter, "How, oh how did we get here? Is this really happening? Are these really our lives?" Too funny. First performance is December 15th. Will keep you posted for sure! Hopefully the troupe wont be disbanded/I wont be kicked out for not having the moves and grooves:)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Hope your blog will have video someday.

Just to clarify: Like country line dancing? Or the kind of line dancing you do at weddings? Are they different?

Anneph said...

MEGAN!!! I agree - we need video of this!

I'm so glad you are blogging! I love reading about your life there - you write just like you speak and I feel your excitement just as if we were speaking face to face!

Sounds like you are settling in so well over there - I'm am so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Your apartment is huge! You look so good girl. But, how's your lungs!? Are you taking care of that with some antibiotics?
You should post those pictures so that we can enlarge them ;) I wanna close up of those strange creatures you're eating over there!
Miss you xoxo

Erika

Anonymous said...

megan,

update more! we want to know what you're up to. we're doing great here. do you have an address we can send letters to yet?

ashley+adam

Anonymous said...

hey there megan-e-rhodes.blogspot.com admin discovered your blog via yahoo but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered site which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your blog http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my website. Hope this helps :) They offer most cost effective services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com